Strava Activity

Monday, October 25, 2010

Diary Entry #3

Well, here we are, another Monday and another 2 hours of my day that I need to spend putting together a diary entry. Once again this week had some highs and some lows but, most importantly, Mr. Lemonhead is moving in the right direction. After 2 entries thus far, I now realize why I didn't go into the writing profession. What is going to go into my next entry seems to be all that consumes me and my thoughts (I try to squeeze a little work thoughts in). Let's get down to business.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MARATHON UPDATE!!
I know it has been over two weeks since that wonderful Sunday morning/afternoon on 10/10/10 but some of you haven't had the opportunity to run walk the race vicariously through me so I will provide you that chance here. As most of you know my training for the Mother Road Marathon was going swimmingly for the first two months and I had not missed a day (I even ran every day on vacation, yes I know, even I can't believe it either). I was doing a speed workout on the track and was about halfway through when the 'ole hammy tightened up on me. We all know that stretching is overrated and doesn't cure the pulling of muscles, so the obvious reason for this unfortunate circumstance is my bones are still growing but unfortunately my muscles have stopped growing so the result is frequent pulled/strained muscles. This could be the only reason I could think of. So after that event and the month that ensued that I had to take off to let it heal, I started drinking pop again and the laziness kicked into high gear. So on that Sunday morning I was staring down the start line after the beautiful National Anthem sang by the winner of the 4 States Idol competition herself, knowing that I was in for a battle. I started off pretty well at a 8:38-8:45 pace for the first 13 miles but was thrown off by the lack of a water stop at MM 14 (they had them placed every two miles prior to this mishap) and by the time I reached the next one at the 15.25 mile mark I was telling myself I needed a walk break (I told you before I am very convincing). After that the race part of the marathon was all but over. For the next 10+ miles I managed to run a half mile here or there but more often than not I was enjoying the scenery of Kansas/Missouri at my own leisurely pace. I discovered during this time that hills aren't that intimidating if you don't run them. Taking multiple cups of water/gatorade at each hydration station - it was 80+ degrees during the race - (had to make sure I was properly hydrated for this fast-paced walk I was on) I strategically drank at a pace that once I was finished with my refreshments I was allowed a small period of running before the next station. To sum up how the race went I guess you could use this formula: Hilly + Hot +Out of Shape = 4:32:48. That was a new PW (personal worst) by close to 15 minutes. But I did finish and was also told by at least 5-7 spectators along the course that I had the coolest shoes by far in the marathon, so everything wasn't all that bad.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back to the reason that you tune in every Monday, how my attempt to crawl back to weight respectability fared this week. As a reminder, last week I tipped the scales at a not-so-light 235.2 (see attached chart) and after weighing myself this morning (sans clothes and pre-run once again) I weighed a slim 232.6. I was feeling pretty good about myself and ventured out on a 6.17 mile run through the mist and darkness that was this morning. The meat grinder (my intestinal track during runs) really went to work during those 50+ minutes. My confidence was booming with my weight loss this week and then I sit down on my throne (post-run) with my not so good posture which or course contracts the space in which my belly is allowed to roam and it made me realize that I am still bordering on M.O. (morbid obesity). There is a lot of fat around this waist left, so much in fact, that for Halloween I could probably wear all white clothes and definitely double as the Michelin Man: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/02_02/michelin2DM1402_228x299.jpg (this could have been my picture taken during the Mother Road Marathon Marathon, who knows?) So despite my success the past two weeks I realize that it is a long road ahead to my ultimate goal of 200 lbs (1/10 of a ton sounds so much better than 1/8 doesn't it?). Let's get to my weekly grades.

Exercise - C
I met my previously stated goal of at least 20 miles barely with a weekly total of 20.48 miles. The saying is "C's Get Degrees" but in my case C's aren't going to get me very far (worked for me in college though!). At least I am getting back into the habit of making the pit stop at the rest room before I either A) get dressed for a run or B) head to the couch to take care of some unfinished business. It is sitting on my throne that the couch seems to be playing the role of Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe, and I, the role of Lucy Pevensie. Just the mere thought of it starts lulling me to sleep and it is all I can do to wake up out of the trance before it is too late. The bathroom in the morning seems to be the opposite of Narnia whereas, I feel like I am in there for 3 minutes and I get out and 10-15 minutes has passed by and I have passed the window of opportunity to go on my run. I still garnered enough courage to hit the pavement on Monday, Thursday and Sunday. Not what I was hoping for, but at least I was able to meet my goal. It is amazing that I haven't hurt myself seriously out there yet. I don't know how, but somehow the Clutz gene bypassed all the other three children in the Larson family and as a result I got all of what the others are missing. Last Saturday I somehow recovered after finding a way to step in a hole (our neighbors yard is the equivalent of a mine field of holes) and rolled the ankle. Every run I go on I manage to step on a stick or stone that turns my ankle or step halfway off the paved side of the road. Growing up I managed to make yearly trips to the ER (yes I know Micah had a couple more serious trips, but that is just a result of him being stupid). Why did I get this cursed gene? But despite all of this, nothing ever turns out serious and I have no excuse to use for not getting out and exercising.

Eating - C
Another week and I am starting to feel some progress in the direction of "it's okay to be hungry". My eating at work has subsided nicely but it is the eating at home that has to be curbed (who is paying Jamie to encourage me to enjoy the fined baked goods at our house so that I have to recount those same things for the public to enjoy?). I was once again able to limit myself to the 2 fountain soda restriction that I placed on myself. Before I go any further, I must admit that one of those fountain sodas happened to be placed in a 52 oz Lambert's mug. So while I did limit myself to 2 drinks, one might have been a little bigger than your standard fountain soda. Now that I have that off my chest, I can continue. Monday's eating was normal but Tuesday's festivities threw a wrench into my healthy eating plans, Julie Bethel hosting Bunko. Everyone knows that when the Bunko B's invade the Bethel household on Monday night there are troughs of food for the B's to enjoy. Whatever they do not wipeout (they can do some serious damage) is there for the rest of the immediate family to enjoy the day after. So, on Tuesday night I feasted on an assortment of unhealthy things, which was a great topper to my day after a lunch of Chipotle (standard order of steak burrito with no beans, easy on the rice, corn salsa and extra sour cream and cheese). Wednesday and Thursday I was back to my new habits but Friday once again meant breakfast at work (a little biscuits and gravy) followed by the Larson Friday night fall/winter/spring tradition...Papa Murphy's. I must admit I did have four pieces but instead of going with the dessert pizza, we went with the tub of cookie dough and I had some of that instead. In the end I would say that it was on par with my consumption of Papa Murphy's the previous week. On Saturday, the Illinois dominated the Hoosiers, which for me means tailgating, which for you translates into one doughnut for breakfast, two bratwursts, potato chips, two helpings of some delicious pasta salad and a brownie for dessert for lunch. Saturday evening and Sunday for lunch were leftover Papa Murphy's and Sunday night was tacos (might of splurged and had 3 soft shell (small tortillas) and 1 hard shell). Overall, I was say a decent week of eating but just like my exercise, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Overall - C
Due to the length of my previous two categories, I will keep my overall grade commentary pretty simple. The miles are still a struggle to get through (not out there enough to become routine) and there are some days when I get home from work andif someone were to be watching me they would definitely be impressed with the quickness that I am able to throw things into my mouth and the quickness demonstrated when one food source diminishes as I seamlessly move to my next target. It is definitely still a work in progress, but if that weren't the case, then I wouldn't be penning you this diary entry.

We are getting there readers and thanks for enjoying me on the way.

As usual, thanks for reading and please feel free to share any thoughts or comments that you may have as you witness first hand my march towards weight respectability.

Love.

Mr. Lemonhead

P.S. I usually write these emails at work and send them from home and I of course forgot to attach the spreadsheet to my email to this account. My apologies and an addendum to Diary entry #3 will be sent out tomorrow.

P.S.S The "JMC" referred to in last week's edition were the initials of Jenny Marie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment